How to be a student entrepreneur
If you’re thinking about starting a business on the side of your studies, here’s some top tips from Irene Moore on how to become a student entrepreneur:
1. Get organised– figure out the hours you can work on your business and write them down. Try and stick to the same days/hours if you can each week.
2. Write down your skills– everyone has something that they are good at. If you’re unsure just ask your family or 3 friends what they think you are good at or spend some time thinking about what they come to you most for help with. Write it down and think about how you could do that for other people time and time again.
3. Figure out your finances- do you need any money to get going? What about website and design costs? Create w quick budget with how much you may need to get set up and how much you plan to sell your offering for. Top tip: Try not to get carried away and spend too much money upfront – the less you spend the more you earn!
4. Test your offering- offer your product or service to 3 people free of charge and ask them for a testimonial. This will make other people trust your business more and more likely to buy from you.
5. Grow your audience. Post about your business on social media and research the right hashtags on Google that people who are looking for your type of business may use to attract your clients to engage with you and your services.
6. Scope out the competition. Don’t be worried if someone else is doing the same thing as you. Competition is actually a good thing as it means that there is a need for your product or services! Watch what they do and find ways to be inspired by them or even reach out and see if you can work together on something.
7. Start slow. Don't be disheartened if you are not an overnight success straight away. In business the people that are most successful are the ones that don’t give up after the first hurdle.
One last thing – have fun!
Making extra cash and having a side-hustle is great but it should be as simple as possible and not distract too much from your studies.
Irene Moore is a business coach from London UK. You can find her on Instagram @irenemoore_ and online at IreneMoore.com